Top-mount 4G69 turbo

Fab360

New Member
IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4804.JPG IMG_4803.JPG Hi all, Currently I am building a forced induction setup for a client. I thought some of you may find it interesting as I have searched the web and see plenty of bottom-mount setups but have not seen a top-mount setup. Some details of this build:
- GT2871R with .86 rear housing
- Tubular manifold with merge collector
- Greddy intercooler cut-down from 600x300x76mm to 600x220x76mm. This was done to fit under the original crash bar with no cutting, and the smaller core will flow plenty for our goals (200-300whp boost-dependant)
- 2.5" mandrel downpipe and exhaust in stainless steel. Again, large enough for the power goal

The turbo intake tube is just a mock-up and will be altered.

If there is interest in this build I will keep you updated on the progress. I previously owned a Performance shop overseas and built dozens of 600+hp Evo's (and hundreds of other cars/brands) but this 4G69 is a first for me! Any questions or valid input is appreciated. Cheers
 

SDate42

Active Member
Lifetime Premium Member
So glad to get some input/info from a fresh source. The love is minimal for the CH series lancer over here, and with the 4g69 swap on the rise, info like this is amazing to come across. Keen to see updates!

Yellows a hot colour ;)
 

Fab360

New Member
So glad to get some input/info from a fresh source. The love is minimal for the CH series lancer over here, and with the 4g69 swap on the rise, info like this is amazing to come across. Keen to see updates!

Yellows a hot colour ;)
Yes, I am impressed by the motor by what I have seen, except the rods that look very thin....ideal for an efficient N/A engine, but marginal for FI
 

Fab360

New Member
IMG_4829.JPG QTP electronic cutout fitted directly to the downpipe. The car will run a relatively restrictive exhaust but the cutout will give the freedom of more sound and less restriction when needed.
 

Fab360

New Member
IMG_4850.JPG Well, it is now running. Still awaiting the multiport methanol injection and get the tuning sorted, but it is just been out on a one-hour bedding-in testdrive
 

Fab360

New Member
Intake manifold was cut open to weld-fill the EGR passage (EGR delete) on both the inside and outside of the manifold. At the same time the runners were machined with a 5 degree profile and the radiused inlets enlarged and smoothed. The manifold was then welded shut
 

Attachments

unclepaulie

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Premium Member
What kinda dollars you charging for that? Assuming just labour x time taken? $4-600?
 

Fab360

New Member
What kinda dollars you charging for that? Assuming just labour x time taken? $4-600?
For what I showed regarding the intake manifold? Mmm, it is very labour intensive. This one took all day (including removing the manifold). But if the manifold was sent to me (or posted to me) I could have it back out the door the next day and I could do it for $500. Thanks for the interest. If you have any further question shoot me a PM
 

Fab360

New Member
IMG_5214.jpg IMG_5216.JPG So some updated information. I am Street tuning the car right now, and the preliminary results are very surprising.

Starting at 4psi gate pressure, I have been increasing the boost slowly while adjusting the AFR´s and also duty cycle on the methanol injection. At 11psi in 3rd gear, the clutch could not hold the torque. It just slips. So I backed it off to 10psi and fattened the mixture in the middle rpm range to bring the power on a little slower. Here is the data from tonight's testing:

In 3rd gear, on level highway, I am seeing:
- 0.91 G acceleration
- 80km/h - 120km/h in 1.9 seconds
- Virtual dyno of 340hp (on several pulls I saw a higher HP figure, but from how the car drives, I believe without a doubt the 340hp as a minimum)
- The STI pink injectors (or the 255LPH pump) seem to be maxed. No matter how I adjust the duty cycle I cannot fatten the mixture, and this includes a 60/40 mix of W/A, so I will increase the mix to 50/50, possibly 40/60.

Now, I have tested this virtual dyno in a number of standard cars, and the results have always been within the acceptable percentile of expected factory results.

This car is, quite honestly, a bit of a beast. I am very surprised by its performance. Tomorrow I will continue fine tuning the parameters
 
Last edited:

Fab360

New Member
Any further updates?
The clutch was updated to a 6-puck style with a sprung centre and while that is being run-in I turned the boost down to about 6psi. I am currently turbocharging the BMW drift car of the same client, so once that is finished he will bring the Lancer back in for some tuning on the WMI and turn the boost back up to 11-12psi. Any more boost and it just roasts tyres in 1st,2nd and 3rd....so 11-12psi is plenty.

Oh that´s right, I added a fuel return line and a Bosch FPR in the engine bay which references boost and it really benefited the car.

Apart from that, the car has been used as a daily driver for the last 6 months without issue with the exception of the clutch, which was to be expected. The client drives about 120km round-trip for work, so the car has done about 20,000km since being turbocharged
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Top